Wednesday, April 3, 2013

What's Your Biggest Fear as a Mom?


. . .He will gently lead the nursing ewes (mothers).
Isaiah 40:11b


As a mom, what’s your biggest fear?

One day in the grocery store, I spied a cute pony-tailed mom toting a baby on a hip and pushing her grocery cart.  In the cart was a tow-headed toddler.   I smiled as she came toward me, and wanted to make eye contact because I SO remember those days.  I wanted to encourage her and tell her what a great job she was doing.

But then, she was distracted by the toddler in the cart and barely bumped me as she passed.  Without batting an eye, she glanced up and said, "I'm so sorry, Sweetie."

Now you could say that we're in the South and all that, but I know that this cute mom is saying "Sweetie" and "Honey" so often to those tow-headed darlings that it just rolls off her tongue to any stranger that crosses her path.




As I walked away, I just smiled and smiled.  I love young moms because I remember the fun, the fatigue, and I remember the fear of those days.

My biggest fear was this:  "I am going to totally screw up my kids."

So, as a young mom, I did what every sane mother does.  I read every single parenting book that promised me a certain outcome if I just followed the expert’s advice.  I needed to know:  if I did this mothering thing according to what the "experts" said was right,  I wouldn't screw up my kids.

But guess what.  Their advice didn't work every time for all my kids.  Actually, it worked rarely for any of my kids.  

And here's why:  kids are unique little people with their own unique personalities, proclivities, and preferences.  Not only that, but I'm a unique mom, and pair me with my husband, and we're unique parents.    

Cute pony-tailed mom of two two-headed darlings continued on her way, but if I had the opportunity treat her to a latte,  I’d tell her four things:

1.  I’d tell her how amazing she is, that God created her perfectly to be the mom for her children.  (Psalm 139:13; Ephesians 2:10) 

2.  I’d tell her that our mothering is about relationship, not rules. (Deuteronomy 6:5-7)

3.  I’d lift her eyes above the diapers, and the laundry, and the need to get meals on the table and teach her how to fix her eyes on Jesus.  (Hebrews 12:1-2)

4.  I’d be sure I had her attention, and I'd tell her that Jesus cares for his children the way that a shepherd tends his flock.  He gathers the little ones in His arms and carries them close to His heart.  And, listen to this ... He gently leads mothers(Isaiah 40:11)

Jesus leads us in this thing called motherhood.  That’s good news. And it is the answer for this fear of screwing up your kids.   

If I see you in the grocery store and you call me "Sweetie," I'll smile knowing what's coming out of your mouth is a beautiful expression of the love you are lavishing on your children.  And then, if I can, I’ll treat you to a latte.  

Cindy Finley is mom to seven fabulous kids. Though she doesn’t regularly stalk young moms in the grocery store, she does has a special place in her heart for them.  If you’d like to connect with Cindy, pop over to www.CindyFinley.com.  She’d love to come alongside you! 


Copyright 2013, Cindy Finley/Knowing God Ministries. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment